Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tales of Travels with John and Lori - A fresh start


Well, I'm shortly going to retire my other blog, Gertie's Galavants - Tales of Travels with a 95 year old. Mom died Feb 15, 2012 so it's time to wrap that blog up and start anew with this blog designed specifically to document John and my's travels. In case you're interested though, that blog is Gertie's Galavants.

John and I have been together almost 4.5 years and, as he would say, "I don't hate you or anything!" The first time he said this, I was a bit taken back until I realized that, although my previous relationships had mostly lasted 4 years, they all should have been over around the 2 year mark. My marriage, on the other hand, was over before it started really.

Regardless, here we are together and we couldn't be happier. With Mom gone though, there is a different dynamic; I'm fully John's now. Previously, he had to share me with my Mom and, because of his very giving nature, he understood that my alliance was to her first. It had to be - that's what I promised my Dad and I don't go back on my word.

So, as I step into the future, I couldn't be happier to have this magnificent man by my side. He's a man that I didn't even dare dream of. When Mom told him one day that he reminded her a lot of Dad, he beamed and so did I. I've seen the similarities in the way John looks at me and the way Dad looked at Mom. There's were times when, even in large crowds or family gatherings, I'd see them look at each other as though they were the only two in the room. I'm so grateful to have that same relationship, even a bit later in life. Better late than never.

So, dear readers, whomever you are, we're about to start on a most excellent journey - where it will go, what paths we'll wander is yet to be decided. But, wherever our journeys, they're going to be excellent (and funny).

No comments:

Post a Comment